Epson printer are widely popular globally for their high reliability and multiple variants. You can generate not only high-quality scanned documents but photographs as well. But as electronic devices, printers encounter unexpected errors.
From hardware problems to system functions, those errors are quite a headache. While hardware parts damages are easy to replace and fix, one most common adverse problems with any printer are when the printer does not print correctly or with less effective inks.
The typical printer problem we will discuss in this guide is when the Epson printer does not print in proper black ink. One reason for this is after you change the ink cartridges and misplace them. Well, that is one possible cause for this particular printing problem. But there could be many more underlying reasons.You can also visit printer repair dubai.
Since you might encounter such a problem with your Epson printer, we shall highlight the common causes of this problem and some probable solutions to fix it.
Why is the Epson printer not printing in full black ink or not printing at all?
When your Epson printer is not printing in black ink correctly, there could be multiple reasons behind it. Some may be minor problems; some may be significant issues. But to apply the right solution, you need to identify the root cause.
- The printhead is not working correctly or is clogged.
- The color printing setting is disabled.
- The ink cartridges do not have sufficient ink levels.
- The new ink cartridge replacements are misplaced.
- The ink cartridges and toner are empty.
- The printer driver is outdated.
- The printer machine itself is facing issues.
- There could be an issue with the paper printing.
- Improper data source.
Now that we have looked into the possible causes let’s move to the solutions.
Troubleshooting ways to make the Epson printer print proper black ink
The below steps apply to all Epson printers if you use a Windows computer for connection.
- On your Windows computer, find the printer app and choose the Print command.
- Under the Print Properties, select the Properties option followed by Preferences.
- Then, go to the Main tab and click on the Black/grayscale option for the color setting.
- After the selection, hit the OK button.
That would likely work to make your Epson printer print in excellent, clear black ink. If that does not seem to work, try the other alternative solutions one by one.
Try all the essential troubleshooting solutions.
Most printer errors can be fixed by performing basic troubleshooting ways. So, do that first before anything.
- Shut down your Epson printer and remove all the connected cables from the computer and the power outlets. If any external device is connected, remove them too. After some time, reconnect everything again and try printing.
- Check the paper tray to see if there is sufficient paper to carry out printing jobs correctly and that they are of the correct brand and measurement compatible with that particular Epson printer model.
- Check the printer ink levels to ensure sufficient ink for printing jobs. Make sure that the ink cartridges are as recommended by Epson. Aftermarket cartridges often do not work as intended.
- After the printer is ready again, take out a Print Test Page.
Check and clean the Epson printer’s print head.
A clogged print head may hamper the printing job of the printer. That is also a possible reason for your Epson printer not printing in black ink. Here is the process to clean the print head properly.
- On your Windows computer, open the Control Panel and navigate to Devices and Printers.
- Under it, find your installed Epson printer from the list.
- Now right-click on your selected printer and choose the Properties option.
- After that, go to the Maintenance/Hardware tab.
- Click on the Head Cleaning option to proceed and hit the Start button.
- For further processes, follow the instructions on the screen.
Hopefully, that will resolve the Epson printer not printing in black ink problem.
Check the ink cartridges for ink level and any damages.
The insufficient ink level in the ink cartridges can be a problem. That will make the printer not print anything. After checking the ink levels, follow ahead.
While you can check if the ink cartridge is empty or not manually, you can go the automatic way, too.
- On your Windows computer, launch the Control Panel.
- Pick the Devices and Printers from the options.
- Select your Epson printer name from the list and right-click on it.
- From the option, click on Print Preferences.
- Under it, go to the Repair tab and on the Maintenance menu.
- You can check the ink level in the cartridges by clicking on the Epson Status Monitor.
- If the level is displayed as low, you need to refill with a suitable ink.
Now that the ink level shortage is resolved, what about any other issues with the ink cartridges? Let’s check out what you can do next.
- Open your Epson printer and remove the ink cartridges from the machine.
- See if you need to refill new ink or if it is damaged.
- After checking the ink cartridges, ensure that you place them correctly in their proper position at the allocated slot.
- If you are replacing new cartridges, do not forget to remove the tape covering the ventis. The ink cannot flow to the nozzle if you do not remove it.
- When you are checking the ink cartridges, clean them properly of any dirt or dried ink clogging the smooth flow through the vents.
- If you have recently installed a new ink cartridge, check if they are a compatible brand with your Epson printer model. If they are incompatible, the printer will not recognize them, resulting in unwanted errors.
This solution determines whether the ink cartridges or the printhead is the issue.
Update the Epson printer firmware.
Outdated printer firmware can cause many problems to the machine and its functions. While not printing in black ink is unlikely to result in that, it is right to perform the firmware update. Here is how you can update your Epson printer’s firmware.
- On your Windows computer, type Epson on the Start menu and open the Epson Software Updater.
- From the list, select your particular Epson printer model.
- That will automatically scan for any available and latest firmware version.
- While that happens, check the box for Firmware Updater, followed by the Install button.
- To proceed with the new firmware installation, select Agree and hit the OK button.
- Now, wait for the software download to complete an update.
- While the software is updating, ensure the printer does not go off.
- When done, select the Finish button and hit the OK button.
- If there are no more firmware updates, hit the Exit button.
Verifying the right paper used for printing.
There are different types of paper used for printing jobs. Some are glossy, and some are matte. If there is no problem with the printer’s software or hardware components, you should check the ink type and the type of paper used for printing.
The outcome of the printer ink will vary based on whether the ink is dye-based or pigment cartridge. In the same way, the ink will print differently on matte paper and glossy paper. If your Epson printer is not printing correctly, you might want to check the ink and paper used again.
So, these are some solutions to fix your Epson printer not adequately printing in black ink. Irrespective of the cause of the problem, you should regularly check and maintain the printer. If the problem persists, get the expert’s help.